The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams 18 February 2021
1. ALIENATE (VERB): estrange
Synonyms: turn away, set apart
We find nothing small or mean to alienate our respect from him.
2. DELINQUENT (ADJECTIVE): lawless
Synonyms: criminal, offending
Antonyms: well behaved
Most delinquent children have deprived backgrounds.
3. MISADVENTURE (NOUN): accident
Synonyms: problem, difficulty
Antonyms: good luck
The coroner recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.
4. EXCLUSIVE (ADJECTIVE): complete
Synonyms: full, entire
We need exclusive focus on education.
5. DE JURE (ADVERB): by right
Synonyms: rightfully, legally
Antonyms: de facto
The President aims to create a de jure one-party state.
6. PERNICIOUS (ADJECTIVE): harmful
Synonyms: damaging, destructive
The pernicious weed has spread all through the flower bed.
7. MULTIPLICITY (NOUN): abundance
Synonyms: scores, mass
The demand for higher education depends on a multiplicity of factors.
8. PLAUSIBLE (ADJECTIVE): credible
Synonyms: reasonable, believable
A discourse for which there were few takers earlier began to sound plausible.
9. FAINTLY (ADVERB): slightly
Synonyms: vaguely, somewhat
She just smiled faintly.
10. MYRIAD (ADJECTIVE): innumerable
Synonyms: countless, infinite
He gazed at the myriad lights of the city.