The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams 10 February 2021
1. DWINDLE (VERB): diminish
Synonyms: decrease, reduce
The majorities behind the government dwindled and grew.
2. DELIBERATE (ADJECTIVE): careful
Synonyms: cautious, unhurried
I have always been a conscientious and deliberate worker.
3. REPRESSIVE (ADJECTIVE): oppressive
Synonyms: authoritarian, despotic
It was clear that he could not continue the repressive tactics of his predecessor.
4. OVERWEENING (ADJECTIVE): overconfident
Synonyms: conceited, cocksure
His modesty is nothing but a cover for his overweening conceit.
5. DETRIMENT (NOUN): harm
Synonyms: damage, injury
Hurried tests are a detriment to good education.
6. PROVOCATIVE (ADJECTIVE): annoying
Synonyms: irritating, exasperating
He got offended by a provocative article.
7. PRESUMPTUOUS (ADJECTIVE): brazen
Synonyms: overconfident, arrogant
The man seemed too presumptuous to be a humble leader for the nation.
8. UNDERLIE (VERB): fundamental
Synonyms: basic, basal
We discussed the principles that underlay their methods.
9. MARGINAL (ADJECTIVE): slight
Synonyms: small, tiny
It made only a marginal difference.
10. MACABRE (ADJECTIVE): gruesome
Synonyms: grisly grim
A macabre series of murders shocked us.