The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams 05 February 2021
1. ANNIHILATE (VERB): destroy
Synonyms: wipe out, obliterate
A simple bomb of this type could annihilate them all.
2. FABLED (ADJECTIVE): legendary
Synonyms: mythical, mythic
The movie mentioned the fabled Arendelle kingdom.
3. RECTITUDE (NOUN): righteousness
Synonyms: goodness, virtue
The necessity of moral rectitude was itself an incentive.
4. CAPITULATE (VERB): surrender
Synonyms: give in, yield
The patriots had to capitulate to the enemy forces.
5. CONVALESCE (VERB): recuperate
Synonyms: recover, improve
After your operation, you’ll need to convalesce for a week or two.
6. INTERIM (ADJECTIVE): provisional
An interim arrangement was made.
7. EXTRICATE (VERB): extract
Synonyms: free, release
He was trying to extricate himself from official duties.
8. IMPENDING (ADJECTIVE): imminent
Synonyms: at hand, close
They were in impending danger of being swept away.
9. FOUNDER (VERB): fail
Synonyms: fall through, fall flat
The talks foundered on the reform issue.
10. FLURRY (NOUN): spate
Synonyms: wave, flood
A flurry of editorials that were hostile to the government were published.